Tuesday 29 May 2012

The birth of the Boscombehub


One of my interviews was undertaken with Sorted Surf Festival manager Brad Predley, at the Sorted Surf Shop on Boscombe beach. The regeneration to the area is pretty spectacular, with restaurants right on the foot of the beach and surfers galore on the Artificial Surf Reef. It seemed a whole different word away from the previous research I had conducted in town. I found myself researching into the divides between regenerated communities and the pre-regeneration residents, and nothing seemed so apparent to me as this obvious community divide. With the wealthy coming down to enjoy their beach pods on Boscombe beach as the community feels the recession pinch, there’s no wonder that the Boscombe Regeneration Project hadn’t had a positive impact on ‘their’ Boscombe.

It highlighted to me that can and should be events the integration of these two communities. The Sorted Surf Festival clearly does this well by hosting a free event day that appeals to all markets from families, to surfers, to teenagers, and adults coming to see activities going on.

And not just summer events, events held throughout the seasons. I was shocked to learn that Boscombe doesn’t have its own Christmas lights parade or an event to that effect. These sort of events are what my childhood was made up of, wrapping up warm and watching Santa in the parade. Or even going with your school and displaying your Christmas arts and crafts in the town.  If I was to implement events in Boscombe, it’s would be events to this effect as I believe these types of events that encourage community spirit in a town.

Even despite the lack of events, there was no solid marketing base for events to market themselves on. This issue seemed more apparent to me than the lack of events. Even if event were implemented in Boscombe, there would be nowhere to specifically market them to both the local community and potential tourists. To me the case study had to fix the root of the problem first so create a base line for a successful events industry. Here arose the ‘Boscombehub’.

No comments:

Post a Comment